Every fly tier has their favorite hooks for certain patterns and I’m no exception. I’ve tried a lot of different hooks for sakasa kebari and wanted to tell you about my favorite ones and why I like them so much.
My favorite hook for sakasa kebari is the TMC 2499SPBL. Almost all of my sakasa kebari are now tied on these. I mostly tie in a size 12 which I think is a good all around size but sometimes tie #14s or up to #8 for certain patterns.
Here are the features I like about these hooks:
- They’re barbless. The TMC “Super Point” is shaped like an arrow point making it very sharp and reducing damage to the fish
- They’re curved. This makes for a more lifelike profile
- They have a wide (3x) gape that gives you solid hookups
- They’re 2X heavy to help sink the fly faster
- They have straight eyes. Since the hackle in a sakasa kebari points forward, I’ve found straight eyes easier to thread and tie on with straight eyes than down eyes. And you reduce the chance of trapping hackle fibers in your knot.